Thursday, February 14, 2013

Internet burnout

I haven't written on here in years. Most of my online life gets lived on Facebook these days, but I can't really say what I need to say there. I have no idea if anyone is going to read this, but whatever, it needs to come out.

I'm feeling kind of tired of the Internet. I feel like I expend a massive amount of mental energy trying to connect with people on Facebook, or Twitter, or YouTube, and the amount of satisfaction I get in those moments that I do is comparatively small compared to the frustration I feel at failing. I feel sometimes like I fail at it more than I succeed. Ultimately, I'm using these online venues as a replacement for seeing people in real life with the same expectations as if I actually was, which is a recipe for disappointment. 

I used to have long, soulful email exchanges with a few of the people I'd meet online. Most of them I can't remember anymore, the email accounts I used to use before Gmail now lost to a sea of spam. I wish I could, the people that I wrote to were all interesting, funny and thoughtful. Back before that, I'd actually write real letters, full of personality and what I thought of as wit. Neither of these was the same as seeing someone face to face, but they felt substantive in a way that my interactions with people online these days often don't.

One of the things that I've experienced lately is a kind of burnout watching YouTube videos made by popular vloggers, who have a tendency to create a kind of intimacy between artist and audience, speaking to the camera and addressing the audience as if they were a close friend. I yearn for the kind of closeness and connection that these videos seem to promise, but the intimacy provided is ultimately false. 

How do I solve this frustration? 

No comments: